Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Picasso Strikes


Thailand is absolutely amazing!




After spending two timeless weeks there I've fallen in love with the place. The people are fantastic: always smiling, respectful, self-controlled and great with their kids and pets. They also love their plants...accounting for the countless orchids and potplants lining the streets!

On our arrival in Chiang Mae (in the north of Thailand) we were ambushed by water crazed zealots! We managed to catch the sonkran festival, which marks the Thai newyear. Traditionally water was poured down the backs of loved ones, signifying a kind of cleansing for the new year...but this has radically evolved into a water fight of epic proportions! On our arrival at our hotel we were soaked to the bone. Hectic I tell you, and one piece of advice:
"Avoid tuk-tuk's (3-wheel open air taxis) during Sonkran!!!"

The islands are very laid back and you get teleported to another world. Rice fields, buffalo's, thai boxing and fishing boats all paint the picture of a people non-plussed about status and chasing rats...mind you they do fancy their cockroaches!

The coral reefs are amazing! We did some scuba diving, but I retired hurt after a trigger fish attacked me!

It was absolutely crazy. I heard a loud clank on my tank and looked around. There these two beautiful fish were staring at me?! Ok, so I look back at them. BAMM! It felt like someone assaulted me with a hammer as the stealthy predator careered into the side of my head. Ouch. (look at those K9's)




But that opened the door to a bunch of other experiences. Health spas, kyak trips, offroad scootering and loads of chilling were all on the menu. Talking about menus, the food is excellent...and dirt cheap! You get the feeling that people really take pride in preparing a meal, and that spills over in the presentation. You end up feeling quite special.

Probably 90% of the fruits we ate in Thailand were completely new to us. Durians, Jackfruit, Tamarin seeds and Dragonfruit were amongst the favourites. My wife also loved every moment...but she promptly drew the line when I started munching cockroaches!

Bangkok is an amazing city. It's a smooth mix of old and modern Thailand. You'll see elephants walking on the busy sidewalks and walk into the most modern mall you've ever seen the next moment. People remain friendly and warm, despite the huge amount of bodies.

This 2 weeks has fealt like 2 months and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The perspective I've gained is priceless, and I hope this fuel injection will last me a few months. The travel bug has bitten with the force of a territorial trigger fish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get notified if my blog changes:
powered by Bloglet